To help Troy's business (the lawn mowing/Christmas light fiasco), I pass out flyers on weekends and days that he is at work. It's some of the best and cheapest advertising, and plus I get some excercise out of it!
Well, this past weekend I passed out flyers in the Tarrytown neighborhood of Austin. For those that don't live in Austin, don't worry, I'm getting ready to describe it to you...because walking amongst these homes is somewhat of a surreal experience.
Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in a fancy neighborhood or know a lot of people with lots of money, but I've never quite experienced this. It isn't like the suburbs with the HUGE houses with modern facades, treeless yards, 5 bedrooms a game room and a kitchen the size of my house. This is a description of these homes:lots with many large trees, picket fences or iron fences around the yard (no privacy fences in sight), decorations on the front door to label the season, lamp posts or lamps by the front door with actual burning gas wicks (even during the day), large windows with no tacky blinds or curtains drawn so that you have full view of their spotless interiors that look like they were straight out of a pottery barn catalog or Ethan Allen showroom. These houses and families are the modern version of Norman Rockwell paintings.
It was kind of sad and intriuging all at the same time. I wondered if the familes that lived in these pristene homes were as idyllic as the facade seemed to the casual passerby, or if they were just as screwed up as the rest of the world. But with all of their fancy (and definetly not store bought) Halloween decorations, I couldn't help but think...when I have kids, they are so going to go trick-or-treating here.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment