Wednesday, July 16, 2008

North Carolina vs. Texas

So this past weekend we went to visit my brother-in-law Jonathan (the marine) before he goes to Iraq. It was really great to see him and he was so happy that we all got to come. It was me & Troy, Troy's parents, Mario and Troy's aunt Teresa. First the best parts...

I got to visit North Carolina! I love North Carolina, not really sure why but I really like it there. Where Jonathan was stationed was kind of ghetto, the state itself was gorgeous. And all of this took place over my birthday. Which at first I wasn't excited about, but then on my bday we went to the beach!!

I love east coast beaches. They are awesome! The beach we went to was North Topsail Beach. It was so quiet and peaceful...nothing but HUGE houses and beautiful water. (One of my future houses by the way) None of the houses were under 3 stories and all of them looked brand new! It was amazing...I also only saw 1 hotel and none of those huge towering condo complexes. I could have stayed there all day.





Then on the night of my birthday we went to a country bar in town. Let's just say we went for the music and not the ambiance because this was one of the most ghetto country places ever! Plus I had to hear all night about the line-dancing vs. two-stepping. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand line-dancing, but seriously...drop the country bars are only good in Texas thing. This particular one just sucked. But while there the guys decided I needed a lap dance...and Jonathan's fiend of course had to oblige them. Let's just say...akward much? :) The waitress did bring over a decent-looking cowboy type complete with hat and huge belt-buckle, but Troy was laughing too hard to find the camera in my purse, so no pictures of that thank goodness! Here is my "lap dance"-



And here is a picture of the brother's and their ambigiously gay high five. Ah the things you do when drinking...




However the whole reason for the title of the blog is the bragging/obnoxiousness I had to endure the ENTIRE trip. I love Texas, I think that everyone should be very proud of their state and heritage. HOWEVER, this does not give you the right to bitch/moan/whine/brag/putdown people everywhere else you go in the world. If I had to hear ONE MORE TIME how much better Texas was...how retarted and terrible country music that wasn't Texas country was...how everyone north of Waco was a yankee (my father-in-laws exact words) or how every place wished they were Texas because the steak houses are named "Texas Roadhouse", Texas Saloon, Texas etc. I was going to kill someone.

My father-in-law was far and away the worst. He was so freakin' obnoxious and had no clue how ignorant he sounded. First, he really didn't know that NC was in the confederacy and thus someone from Carolina would take great offense to being called a yankee. Then he thinks that just because someone or something is known by him in Texas that everyone else would know them and if they didn't they were stupid. Case in point - Kevin Fowler is great, but he is a LOCAL artist. Thus most people outside of here have not heard of them. This does not make them stupid or not true country fans. Two-stepping is called the TEXAS two-step for a reason...people outside of Texas don't often dance that way. Get over it. And lastly brisket is NOT the only form of BBQ, so stop your bitching that it is, grow up.

And lastly...I will NEVER travel outside of the state with my in-laws again. I seriously wanted to smack them silly.

Rant over. :)

1 comment:

The Aguilars said...

I have to agree with you. I love Texas - but the people who think Texas is the best have not traveled enough! And I LOVE to point out that Texas Roadhouse was started in Jeffersonville, IN and the food there tastes the same as the food here!! If TX is so great, then why can IN dupicate it? I am a huge fan of NC BBQ and prefer it to TX BBQ - but then again, I was born in NC:)